Types of hosting services
A hosting service is related to keeping and/or sharing specific content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting supplier. There are different types of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a look at these. In that way, you can elect what you need, based on whether you wish to set up a weblog, mail addresses, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution offered by some hosts, which enables you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to examine a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php web site files in your web browser. Free-of-charge file storage solutions are frequently supported by displaying advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file storage account, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a totally erroneous interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would apportion the tasks at hand between independent stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving miscellaneous web hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: akin to file hosting; given distributors offer a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is suitable if you desire to share an enormous number of pictures with mates or colleagues since the service is generally free. You will get a random link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service devoted to administering your mail address accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting solutions for web pages, but do not provide an email hosting service. If you desire to set up a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a website, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open email box accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred viewers, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video will permit you to possess as many video files as you want to without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you want to have a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the aforesaid hosting sorts since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and mails, upload videos, etc. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that allow you to have all of the aforementioned solutions in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are designed for specific content exclusively.